Apples turned into “applesauce” makes these chocolate cupcakes super moist and delicious. They are excellent on their own as well as topped with Vanilla or Chocolate Frosting for an extra special treat. My favorite way to eat them is hot out of the oven (after letting them cool for a couple of minutes first). They are incredibly moist right out of the oven and remind me of hot molten chocolate cake with soft chocolate centers.
Chocolate Cupcakes (Sprouted GF Flour & Egg-Free)
Super moist chocolaty goodness!
Equipment: Food Processor, Standing Mixer or Hand-Mixer, Muffin-Pan (I use stoneware).
· 1 tablespoon chia seeds
· ¼ cup filtered water
· 5 medium-size apples - cored, peeled and quartered
· ¼ cup pasture butter (See Resources)
· ¼ cup honey (I use local raw clover creamed)
· 1 teaspoon gluten-free organic vanilla extract (I use Simply Organic)
· 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
· ½ teaspoon baking soda
· ½ teaspoon Celtic sea salt
· ½ cup raw organic cacao powder
· 1 ¼ cup sprouted brown rice flour (See Resources)
1. At least 10 minutes prior to making cupcakes, combine chia seeds and filtered water in a small bowl. If possible, soak chia seeds in ¼ cup water overnight or 24 hours prior to making cupcakes. [Note: Chia seeds will absorb water and form a “gel”, this becomes the egg-replacer.]
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease muffin-pan and set aside.
3. In food processor, add apples pieces and pulse until apples become “applesauce”, about 45 seconds-1 minute, scrape down sides during process if necessary. Set aside.
4. Fit standing mixer with flat beater. Add butter and honey, mix on low speed until combined, then increase speed until butter and honey become creamed, about 45 seconds.
5. Add vanilla and chia seed gel to butter-honey mixture. Mix on low speed until combined.
6. Add baking powder, baking soda and salt to mixture. Turn on low speed just to combine.
7. Add cacao powder, sprouted brown rice flour and “applesauce” to mixture. Combine on low speed just until incorporated.
8. Add batter to muffin-pan, using heaping tablespoons to fill each one.
9. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted into center of cupcake comes out clean. Let cool in muffin-pan for at least 5 minutes before removing.
|My Little Love, so excited to have a cupcake!|
Yield: Makes 12 cupcakes.
Storage: Store in airtight container in refrigerator or freezer. They keep well in the freezer, allow to de-thaw for a few minutes before eating.