Homemade breakfast sausages are really easy to make and so much healthier than store-bought versions.
The flavor of these Paleo Maple Apple Chicken Breakfast Sausages, swoon! They’re so incredibly delicious, better than any sausages I’ve had in restaurants.
These little gems are made with *only* 6 real food ingredients plus a homemade breakfast sausage seasoning blend. You can’t get much better than that!
When you go out to eat or you buy processed breakfast sausages, you really don’t know what you’re getting when it comes to healthy and quality ingredients. Unless you’re eating at an organic, grass-fed, farm-to-table style restaurant, most likely the ingredients aren’t going to be so great.
Most restaurants and store-bought sausages use non-organic meats and poor quality vegetable oils that are not ideal for the body.
You get to control what ingredients are used when you make breakfast sausages at home.
You can choose quality meat – organic or pastured and even better if you can buy from a local farmer.
You can also choose healthier fats to cook the breakfast sausages in. For these Paleo maple apple chicken breakfast sausages, my go-to is always grass-fed ghee or grass-fed butter plus avocado oil.
I like using a combination of these healthy fats to cook the sausages in. That’s totally up to you though, you can simply just use one healthy fat.
The best part of making your own breakfast sausages is the flavor! You want to make sure they’re packed with the perfect seasonings and goodies. The apples in these sausages add a nice, sweet, juicy bite and a little extra flavor. These are also packed with the perfect blend of herbs and spices.
Or better yet, make up a couple batches of these on the weekend so you’ll have a high protein meal or snack that you can quickly heat up during the week.
Paleo Maple Apple Chicken Breakfast Sausages
- 1 pound ground organic or pastured chicken
- 1 serving Homemade Breakfast Sausage Seasoning
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and finely minced or grated
- 2 tbsp organic grade B maple syrup - optional
- 1 medium organic apple, peeled and finely diced
- 2-3 tbsp ghee, grass-fed butter, avocado oil or healthy fat of choice
- 2-4 tbsp broth, homemade bone broth or filtered water
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chicken, homemade breakfast sausage seasoning, fresh garlic and maple syrup, using clean hands or a fork to incorporate. Add the apples and gently fold them into the mixture.
- Preheat a large skillet or pan with healthy fat of choice (or a combination of ghee/butter and avocado oil) over medium heat for 1-2 minutes while you make the chicken patties (if your skillet/pan is smaller, you’ll need to make the sausages in 2 batches).
- Shape the chicken mixture into small patties (if your pan is smaller, set the sausages on a plate while the first batch cooks). Immediately cook the breakfast sausages in the preheated pan/skillet until golden brown on each side and fully cooked through, about 12-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the sausages and the heat of your pan. Halfway through the cooking, before you flip the sausages, add the broth/water – this helps keep them from burning. Note: Do not crowd the sausage patties, cook them in batches if you need to. They cook best if there is space between them.
Whole30® or No Sugar Version: Omit the maple syrup.
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze cooked sausages in freezer safe containers for up to 1 month.
Reheating Instructions: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Reheat sausages on a warming tray (like a stoneware baking dish, my preference) or baking pan for about 5-10 minutes, until they are warmed through.
Recipe can easily be doubled.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 196 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 58mg Sodium: 156mg Carbohydrates: 5g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Protein: 11g
Are you on Pinterest? I pin lots of yummy real food recipes + more there. I have a board just for Breakfast Recipes and one for Gluten Free Treats! Come follow along.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT LIKE
Grass-fed Collagen, Desiccated Liver, Coconut Oil, Liver Detox Support, Ancient Minerals + more!