These chocolaty Simple Secret Ingredient Fudgesicles are such a fun summertime treat! Made with 5 real food ingredients, these yummy honey sweetened popsicles are kid friendly and so easy to make!
THIS HOMEMADE FUDGESICLES RECIPE IS A MUST-MAKE GLUTEN-FREE DESSERT FOR SUMMER!
There’s nothing more irresistible than creamy, chocolaty, ice-cold, healthy fudgesicles on a hot summer day.
You don’t have to buy a box of popsicles from the grocery store – you can enjoy nostalgic fudgesicle fudge pops with healthier, nourishing ingredients and a special secret ingredient by making them at home!
I’ve been making these easy homemade fudgesicles since my teenager was a toddler. They’re always a huge hit and are well-loved by kids and adults alike!
Are you wondering what the secret ingredient is in these simple secret ingredient fudgesicles?
The smooth and creamy AVOCADO!
Yes, avocado. Don’t worry, the “green” avocado flavor will not come through in these chocolate avocado fudge pops once the other ingredients are added.
The avocado is so important in this avocado fudge pops recipe because it helps create the best, creamy, not icy texture. This one ingredient is the secret because it truly gives these avocado fudge bars that authentic, smooth texture with that nice, creamy bite – just like a fudgesicle should have.
SKIP THE STORE-BOUGHT PACKAGED FUDGESICLE POPSICLES AND GIVE THESE HONEY SWEETENED FUDGESICLES A TRY INSTEAD!
Using real food ingredients is so important when making easy kid friendly popsicle recipes, healthy real food popsicles or any other homemade popsicle recipe.
Store-bought popsicles tend to be loaded with cane sugar, lots of artificial flavorings, artificial food dyes, additives and even unhealthy oils. These things are not needed in order to enjoy a delicious popsicle!
I grew up in the 80’s eating the fudgesicles that come in that nostalgic yellow box. We even used to feed them as a treat to my pet parakeet (yikes!). But knowing what I know now, they’re not something that I would serve to my family – because of the ingredients. Have you seen the ingredients?
nonfat milk, sugar, corn syrup, whey, high fructose corn syrup, water, palm oil, cocoa processed with alkali, tricalcium phosphate, mono and diglycerides, cellulose gum, guar gum, malted barley extract, salt, polysorbate 80, polysorbate 65, carrageenan”
Junky ingredients are not necessary! You can make these simple secret ingredient fudgesicles also known as homemade fudge pops or chocolate avocado fudgesicles, easily in the blender. It only takes minutes to prep these naturally sweetened fudgesicles and a little bit of patience while they set up and freeze in the freezer.
WHY ARE THESE HOMEMADE FUDGESICLES HEALTHY AND NOURISHING?
Avocados are often called superfoods these days because of their nutrition profile. They contain 20 vitamins and minerals – some of the most abundant are vitamin K, vitamin C, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin E, folate and potassium. They’re also packed with healthy fats, fiber, antioxidants and are known to help support your eyes, heart and digestion.
Cocoa contains magnesium, iron, zinc, selenium and more! It’s known for its anti-inflammatory benefits and to be high in antioxidants. It’s also known to support immune health, heart health, blood flow, brain function and boost the mood due to cocoa’s flavanols.
Honey in its natural raw form is known to be high in antioxidants and has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It also has trace minerals and it is known to support the immune system, digestion and more.
This is an optional ingredient in the recipe and I love to use it because it packs a nourishing boost! Collagen is known to help support digestion and gut health, bone and joint health, helps build and restore muscle, helps support metabolism and so much more. It also contains protein and adds a nice protein boost to the popsicles. I only use this pesticide-free grass-fed collagen because of their sourcing, their contaminant free, no glyphosate guarantee and their proof of purity.
BEST POPSICLE MOLDS FOR HOMEMADE POPSICLES
It’s important to use a good popsicle mold for homemade popsicle success! Here are my favorite popsicle molds for making the best homemade popsicles:
Silicone Popsicle Molds: These BPA-free, food grade silicone popsicle molds work so well and make unmolding your popsicles super easy! The popsicle mold holds 10 popsicles and comes with a silicone funnel, popsicle sticks and it’s dishwasher safe for easy cleaning!
Stainless Steel Popsicle Molds: These stainless steel molds freeze popsicles faster than plastic molds and are very easy to unmold. The popsicle mold makes 6 popsicles, is dishwasher safe and comes with reusable bamboo popsicle sticks.
Drip-Guard Handle Popsicle Molds: These 4-ounce capacity, BPA-free hard plastic, individual popsicle molds work so well! They come with a set of 6 individual popsicle molds that stand upright in a tray while they freeze. The handle base creates a small bowl around the center popsicle stick, which collects any drips from melting popsicles – which is so helpful for kids. They’re easy to clean and dishwasher safe too. I’ve had several sets of these since my teenager was a toddler and they’re still in great shape after tons of use.
Push Pop Style Silicone Popsicle Molds: These push pop style popsicle molds are great for younger kids – they can hold them with less dripping and less mess. These are easy to use and easy to clean, plus they’re dishwasher safe.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST SIMPLE SECRET INGREDIENT FUDGESICLES
To make these homemade, gluten-free fudgesicles, you’ll need 5 ingredients (and an optional 6th ingredient if you choose to use it), measuring spoons, measuring cups, a knife, a blender, a fine mesh strainer and popsicle molds.
Make sure to get your ingredients ready – avocado, cocoa powder or cacao powder, vanilla extract, raw honey, whole milk, cream or full-fat coconut milk and the optional grass-fed collagen (if you’re using it), prior to preparing the homemade popsicles.
Next, set up your blender and get your fine mesh strainer and popsicle molds ready. Then get the avocado washed and dried, pitted, quartered and peeled.
To the blender, add all of the ingredients and blend on a lower setting just until smooth and combined – no avocado bits should remain. Using a lower setting for blending also helps reduce air bubbles.
There should not be avocado bits remaining, but if needed, pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer when you assemble the popsicles.
For the assembly of the popsicles, pour the fudgesicles mixture into each popsicle mold. Then place the popsicle molds in the freezer for at least 6-8 hours to set, best overnight. Then patiently wait for these delicious homemade fudgesicles to freeze!
When the real food fudgesicles are frozen, briefly run the popsicle molds under warm water to release the popsicle. Then enjoy the yummy simple secret ingredient fudgesicles!
RECIPE FAQS: TIPS FOR SIMPLE SECRET INGREDIENT FUDGESICLES SUCCESS
- How many popsicles will this recipe make? The finished popsicle yield is about 4 cups of the fudgesicle mixture and will vary depending on the size of the avocado as well as the size of the popsicle molds. My popsicle molds hold about ½ cup of liquid, so I can usually make 8 popsicles.
- Can the fudgesicle popsicles recipe be doubled? Yes! I highly recommend doubling the batch if you have a larger family or if you’d like to have more popsicles stored in the freezer.
- How sweet are these popsicles? These popsicles are mildly sweet. My family prefers these fudgesicles less sweet, using just ¼ cup raw honey. If you prefer popsicles to be very sweet, I suggest adding ⅓ cup of raw honey instead.
- Can honey be substituted for another sweetener? Most likely, yes. You can try using another liquid sweetener like date syrup, however, it might slightly alter the flavor if you use a sweetener like maple syrup.
- Do you have a favorite honey to use in this fudgesicles recipe? Yes! I only recommend using a mild, light-colored, quality honey for this recipe. Honey flavors like orange blossom honey, clover honey, thistle honey or alfalfa honey are known to be the most mild in flavor. This is my favorite raw honey – I love their orange blossom and “original” honey. I also love using this raw honey, it’s easy to find online as well as at grocery stores like Sprouts Farmers Market.
- Can this healthy fudgesicles recipe be made dairy-free? Yes! To make dairy-free fudgesicle popsicles, use full-fat coconut milk instead of the whole milk or cream.
- How long do homemade popsicles last? If stored properly in the individual popsicle molds, homemade popsicles will keep in the freezer for 3 to 4 weeks.
GIVE THESE SIMPLE SECRET INGREDIENT FUDGESICLES A TRY! THEY’RE THE PERFECT SUMMERTIME TREAT!
IF YOU LOVE THIS SIMPLE SECRET INGREDIENT FUDGESICLES RECIPE, YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE HEALTHY POPSICLE RECIPES & HOMEMADE ICE CREAM RECIPES FROM RECIPES TO NOURISH:
- Cherry Creamsicles
- Blackberry Cheesecake Popsicles
- Creamy Real Food Watermelon Ice Cream
- Paleo Brownie Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Blackberry Honey Ice Cream
- Paleo Chocolate Banana Cookie Dough Ice Cream
- Real Food Horchata Ice Cream
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
- Real Food Strawberry Ice Cream
- Real Food Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Homemade Orange Creamsicle Ice Cream
- Honey Vanilla Ice Cream
- Healthy Raspberry Swirl Frozen Yogurt
- Healthy Frozen Hot Chocolate
SIMPLE SECRET INGREDIENT FUDGESICLES
- Get your ingredients ready then set up your blender and get your fine mesh strainer and popsicle molds ready. Then get the avocado washed and dried, pitted, quartered and peeled.
- To the blender, add all of the ingredients and blend on a lower setting just until smooth and combined - no avocado bits should remain. Using a lower setting for blending also helps reduce air bubbles.
- There should not be avocado bits remaining, but if needed, pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer when you assemble the popsicles.
- For the assembly of the popsicles, pour the fudgesicles mixture into each popsicle mold. Then place the popsicle molds in the freezer for at least 6-8 hours to set, best overnight. Then patiently wait for these delicious homemade fudgesicles to freeze!
- When the fudgesicles are frozen, briefly run the popsicle molds under warm water to release the popsicle. Then enjoy the yummy simple secret ingredient fudgesicles!
YOU WILL NEED: measuring spoons, measuring cups, knife, blender, fine mesh strainer, popsicle molds
Yield: The finished popsicle yield is about 4 cups of the fudgesicle mixture and will vary depending on the size of the avocado as well as the size of the popsicle molds. The popsicle molds that I use hold about ½ cup of liquid, so I can usually make 8 popsicles.
Dairy-Free Version: To make dairy-free fudgesicle popsicles, use full-fat coconut milk instead of the whole milk or cream.
Collagen: I only use this pesticide-free grass-fed collagen because of their sourcing, their contaminant free, no glyphosate guarantee and their proof of purity. I add it to my popsicles because it adds a nutrient-dense boost as well as protein. For 10% OFF, enter NOURISH10 at checkout.
Sweetness Level: These popsicles are mildly sweet. My family prefers these fudgesicles less sweet, using just ¼ cup raw honey. If you prefer popsicles to be very sweet, I suggest adding ⅓ cup of raw honey instead.
Storage: Homemade popsicles will keep in the freezer for 3 to 4 weeks.
This recipe can be doubled.
See Recipe FAQS in the post for more tips.
The photographs of this recipe, recipe and all content above are copyright protected. Please do not use my photos without prior written permission. If you choose to share this recipe, please use proper etiquette and provide a link back to my original recipe on my blog with proper disclosure [the original recipe - "title of recipe" by Recipes to Nourish]. If you make significant changes to the recipe or adapt the recipe in any way, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and provide a link back here with proper disclosure for credit. Thanks for understanding!
PopsicleLab Popsicle Mold Set, Food Grade BPA Free Silicone Popsicle Molds for Kids, Homemade Popsicles, Ice Cream Mold, Ice Pop Molds, Popsicle Holder and 50 Popsicle Sticks, 50 Popsicle Bags, Funnel
ZYLISS 6 Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Sheath Covers, Stainless Steel
Cuisinart Kitcheniismo Set of 3 Fine Mesh Stainless Steel Strainers
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1 popsicle
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 46mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 5g
This nutritional information was auto-generated based on serving size, number of servings, and typical information for the ingredients listed. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
MORE RECIPES YOU MIGHT ENJOY
Grass-fed Collagen, Desiccated Liver, Coconut Oil, Liver Detox Support, Ancient Minerals + more!