HONEYDEW MELON AGUA FRESCA IS THE MOST DELICIOUS HYDRATING DRINK FOR SUMMERTIME AND HOT WEATHER!
Have you ever made an agua fresca before?
I never really knew much about agua frescas until many years ago when my husband told me what they were. I had seen them at Mexican restaurants, but didn’t know much about them.
My husband grew up having traditional Mexican “fresh waters” as a kid and his favorites were horchata and honeydew melon.
Many years ago, I surprised my husband with my hydrating agua fresca version after he got home from a long, hot day at work. He said it was better than the ones he had as a kid!
Because it was such a hit, we decided to pay homage to his childhood memories and make a healthier horchata and an agua de jamaica (hibiscus) in our cookbook, Amazing Mexican Favorites with Your Instant Pot: 80 Tacos, Burritos, Fajitas and Other Flavor-Packed Recipes.
But this honeydew melon agua fresca with lime recipe is super easy to make - without needing to cook anything.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE HONEYDEW MELON AGUA FRESCA WITH LIME DRINK?
While this honeydew melon agua fresca is similar to an authentic agua fresca, I do change it up just a bit to make it more of a real food agua fresca - meaning it’s made with wholesome, real food ingredients and no sugar.
To help make this a hydrating drink, I add coconut water instead of water – this is totally optional, but so delicious and highly recommended. Coconut water adds replenishing electrolytes and helps restore the body which is so important when it’s hot outside. When you are in the heat or are sweating a lot, you lose a lot of electrolytes (also known as minerals) through sweat and other bodily fluids - which is why coconut water is so helpful!
RAW HONEY SWEETENED
Making this a sugar free agua fresca using raw honey instead of the traditional refined cane sugar also helps keep this thirst-quenching drink healthier! Honey in its natural raw form is known to be high in antioxidants and has antibacterial and antifungal properties. It also has trace minerals and it is known to support the immune system, digestion and more.
This potassium-rich fruit is high in vitamin C as well as contains many other nutrients like folate, vitamin K, magnesium and calcium. Honeydew melon is also rich in electrolytes and water content - it’s 90% water!
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST HONEYDEW MELON AGUA FRESCA WITH LIME
It’s so easy to make this honeydew melon agua fresca. All you need is 4 ingredients!
Start by picking out a ripe honeydew melon. If you prefer, choose an organic honeydew melon since it’s currently listed as #33 on the EWG’s Pesticides in Produce Dirty Dozen™ list. Make sure you pick out a ripe honeydew melon - the color of the rind should be a creamy light yellow color, not green and the rind should be smooth and waxy. You can also press on the bottom of the honeydew, the opposite end from where it’s attached to the vine and give it a little press - it should be slightly soft and give a little/be springy.
How to Prep the Honeydew Melon
The outside of honeydew melons can hold dirt and other unwanted debris, so make sure to wash the outer rind of the honeydew melon before prepping it.
When the honeydew melon has been washed and dried, grab a cutting board and a knife and cut the honeydew melon in half, then remove and discard the seeds with a spoon.
Next up, cut the honeydew melon flesh into chunks. I like to cut the honeydew melon into slices, then cut vertical slices into the flesh, spaced about ½-inch apart and use a knife to slice horizontally near the bottom of the flesh right above the rind. This leaves you with several chunks of melon. Go ahead and cut the honeydew melon however you want, just make sure to remove the melon from the rind.
Assemble the Blender
Then gather the remaining ingredients - cold coconut water, limes and raw honey.
Prep the limes by giving them a quick wash, then cut them in half and juice them - if you’d like, juice them directly into a blender, just make sure no lime seeds go into the blender.
To a blender, add the honeydew melon chunks, coconut water, fresh lime juice and honey, then blend until the drink is pureed and no chunks remain, about 20-30 seconds.
Strain the agua fresca drink through a fine mesh strainer/sieve into a large glass pitcher with lid or 64-ounce (2 quart) mason jar, using a wooden spoon to gently press on the pulp to squeeze the remaining juice out, then discard the solids.
Place the agua fresca in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes or immediately serve the honeydew melon agua fresca with lime chilled over ice. Then enjoy this delicious drink!
RECIPE FAQS: TIPS FOR HONEYDEW MELON AGUA FRESCA WITH LIME SUCCESS
- Can this honeydew agua fresca be doubled? Yes! You can even triple the recipe if you’d like!
- Do you have a favorite coconut water brand? Yes! In fact not all coconut waters are created equal (some are highly processed and not pure coconut water) - and some just don’t taste that great. I have two brands that I love. This one has been my favorite for many years - it’s made from Thai young coconuts, it comes in glass bottles, which I prefer and tastes so good. Some varieties from this brand also contain the young coconut pulp. I also love this one - it tastes delicious and it’s organic and fair trade.
- How long does this honeydew melon agua fresca last? It can be stored for up to 2 days, but for the best flavor, keep the honeydew melon agua fresca covered in the refrigerator and use it within 24 hours. Do not add ice to the stored honeydew melon agua fresca as it will dilute the agua fresca and slightly lessen the flavor.
- Do you have a favorite honey to use in this honey sweetened honeydew melon agua fresca recipe? Yes! I only recommend using a mild, light-colored, quality honey for this recipe. Honey flavors like orange blossom honey, clover honey, thistle honey or alfalfa honey are known to be the most mild in flavor. This is my favorite raw honey - I love their orange blossom and “original” honey. I also love using this raw honey, it’s easy to find online as well as at grocery stores like Sprouts Farmers Market.
- How should the honeydew melon agua fresca with lime be served? This refreshing drink is delicious served cold or iced. Serve it at summertime parties, potlucks, picnics and any social gatherings because it’s so easy to make. It’s also wonderful served in the afternoon to cool off while you relax or served alongside your favorite Mexican meal.
GRAB THIS SEASONAL SUMMER FRUIT WHILE YOU CAN AND GIVE THIS DELICIOUS HONEYDEW MELON AGUA FRESCA WITH LIME RECIPE A TRY!
IF YOU LIKE THIS HONEYDEW MELON AGUA FRESCA WITH LIME RECIPE, YOU MAY ALSO LIKE THESE REFRESHING DRINK RECIPES FROM RECIPES TO NOURISH:
- Southern Fresh Peach Sweet Tea (no sugar, real food, paleo, dairy-free)
- Strawberry Ginger Switchel (electrolyte drink, easy ferment)
- Strawberry Cucumber Lemon Water
- Sugar-Free Stevia Sweetened Mint Lemonade
- Hibiscus Strawberry Iced Tea Cooler
- Slushy Blended Watermelon Lemonade
- Healthy Real Food Thai Iced Tea
- Real Food Watermelon Milkshake (dairy-free option)
- Healthy Pineapple Whip (paleo)
- Matcha Moringa Superfood Smoothie
- Real Food Orange Creamsicle Smoothie
- Antioxidant Blueberry Orange Smoothie
- High Protein Raspberry Cheesecake Smoothie
- Healthy Chocolate Orange Smoothie
- High Protein Go
- Golden Milk Smoothie
Honeydew Melon Agua Fresca with Lime
Honeydew Melon Agua Fresca with Lime
This healthy, hydrating Honeydew Melon Agua Fresca with Lime is the most refreshing drink! It’s easy to make in the blender in minutes and naturally sweetened - no sugar in this real food drink!
- 1 medium size honeydew melon, cubed/chunked
- 2 cups cold coconut water or filtered water
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup raw honey
- Ice from filtered water
- The outside of honeydew melons can hold dirt and other unwanted particles, so make sure to wash the outer rind of the honeydew melon before prepping. When the honeydew melon has been washed and dried, grab a cutting board and a knife and cut the honeydew melon in half, then remove and discard the seeds with a spoon.
- Cut the honeydew melon flesh into chunks. I like to cut the honeydew melon into slices, then cut vertical slices into the flesh, spaced about ½-inch apart and use a knife to slice horizontally near the bottom of the flesh right above the rind. This leaves you with several chunks of melon. Go ahead and cut the honeydew melon however you want, just make sure to remove the melon from the rind.
- To a blender, add the honeydew melon chunks, coconut water, lime juice and honey, then blend until the drink is pureed and no chunks remain, about 20-30 seconds.
- Strain the agua fresca drink through a fine mesh strainer/sieve into a large glass pitcher with lid or 64-ounce (2 quart) mason jar, using a wooden spoon to gently press on the pulp to squeeze the remaining juice out, then discard the solids.
- Place the agua fresca in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes or immediately serve the honeydew melon agua fresca with lime chilled over ice. Enjoy!
YOU WILL NEED: large glass pitcher with lid or 64-ounce (2 quart) mason jar, cutting board, knife, spoon, blender, wooden spoon, fine mesh strainer
STORAGE: Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. For the best flavor, keep the honeydew melon agua fresca covered in the refrigerator and use it within 24 hours. Do not add ice to the stored honeydew melon agua fresca as it will dilute the agua fresca and slightly lessen the flavor.
HOMEMADE ICE CUBES: I love to make filtered water ice with these silicone ice cube trays.
This recipe can be doubled.
See Recipe FAQS in the post for more tips.
The photographs of this recipe, recipe and all content above are copyright protected. Please do not use my photos without prior written permission. If you choose to share this recipe, please use proper etiquette and provide a link back to my original recipe on my blog with proper disclosure [the original recipe - "title of recipe" by Recipes to Nourish]. If you make significant changes to the recipe or adapt the recipe in any way, please rewrite the recipe in your own unique words and provide a link back here with proper disclosure for credit. Thanks for understanding!
ZYLISS 6 Piece Kitchen Knife Set with Sheath Covers, Stainless Steel
Tovolo Perfect Lid 1.25" Cocktails & Smoothies, BPA-Free Silicone, Dishwasher-Safe Ice Cube Tray, Set of 1, Oyster Gray
Blendtec Designer Series Blender-WildSide+ Jar (90 oz) -Professional-Grade Power-Self-Cleaning-6 Pre-Programmed Cycles-8-Speeds-Sleek and Slim, Black
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 5gSugar: 47gProtein: 3g
This nutritional information was auto-generated based on serving size, number of servings, and typical information for the ingredients listed. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in a given recipe, please calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients and amounts used, using your preferred nutrition calculator. Under no circumstances shall the this website and the author be responsible for any loss or damage resulting for your reliance on the given nutritional information. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information provided is accurate, complete, and useful.
MORE DRINKS YOU MAY LIKE
Southern Fresh Peach Sweet Tea (no sugar, real food, paleo, dairy-free)
Simple Secret Ingredient Fudgesicles (real food, paleo, gluten-free)
Strawberry Ginger Switchel (electrolyte drink, easy ferment)
Hydrolyzed Collagen, Desiccated Liver, Coconut Oil, Liver Detox Support, Ancient Minerals + more!
I know my children are really going to like this agua, especially the color!
I hope they enjoy it 🙂
Heather @Gluten-Free Cat
YUM! That looks absolutely delicious and so refreshing! Would you like to share it at Raw Foods Thursdays? We'd love to have you! Heather
Thank you! I'd love to.
What a refreshing drink, sure wish I had it right now. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great weekend and come back soon!
April @ The 21st Century Housewife
My mouth is watering just looking at this lovely drink! I adore any kind of melon and I love how you've combined honeydew with lime - it sounds so refreshing! Thank you for sharing this summery drink with the Hearth and Soul hop.
Every summer my favorite drink blending frozen honeydew with water - i love the coconut water and honey idea! What a fun drink!
That sounds great too Renee! 🙂
This sounds so lovely and refreshing! And that color!
Thanks Linda! 🙂
I've been trying to find a way to like coconut water - this might be it! Sounds so refreshing!
I hope you enjoy it. Coconut waters can really vary in taste between brands.
This is a great way to sneak the goodness of coconut water into someone who claims they hate coconut water...
LOL so true! 🙂
I usually don't like coconut water but this sounds super refreshing and i may have to try it! Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe!
I'm super picky about coconut water brands because some don't taste so great. I hope you get to try this Agua Fresca and find a coconut water brand that you like 🙂
This sounds sooo refreshing - I absolutely love honeydew!
Thanks Becky! I'm so excited for honeydew season soon 🙂
Wow this looks delicious and so refreshing!!! Im going to pin this for sure!
Thanks so much for the pin. I appreciate it! 🙂
This coconut water recipe looks so good, I know I would love it! I can't wait to try this drink, thank you for sharing!
Thanks Ashleigh! 🙂 I hope you get to try some.
This sounds like the perfect refreshing summer drink!
Thanks Aileen! 🙂 It's awesome on hot days.
I love drink recipes like this one Emily! It looks so refreshing especially now with the weather warming up! Thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks Chris! They're my favorite this time of year too 🙂